Clive had his surgery on February 8, 2011. He recovered very quickly and has taken over the house! You can read his progress reports below, and you can also look for Clive's Story on Facebook where you will find more recent updates and photos of Clive!

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Update from surgeon

Just talked to the surgeon. She reiterated that the surgery went well. Turns out that Clive had a slightly different type of aortic arch called Aberrant Left Subclavian Artery. All the medical jargon in the articles I have found about it pretty much goes over my head but I am still reading about it. Not finding much about it in cats but I find quite a bit about it in humans. Anyway the result is the same in that his esophagus was being constricted and she has removed the cause of the constriction so now we have to see what happens. His esophagus was very "dilated" when she was in there so the hope is that without the constriction it will regain normal shape and normal function. He will be on a medication for a few weeks that may help with that and he will go back in 2 weeks for another x-ray to see if his esophagus is looking more normal. Also a couple of pics of him getting ready for surgery this morning.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aberrant_subclavian_artery
http://www.ajronline.org/cgi/content/full/178/5/1269


5 comments:

  1. AwW he's got a little stuffed friend in the carrier. How cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad he got through his surgery so well. I was a nervous wreck...and I'm not even his mom! Yay Clive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay Clive! You're one tough kitty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah I wanted him to have something to cuddle with....I was a nervous wreck too ha ha. I hate that period of time when you are waiting for the vet to call. The whole time I am thinking crap something bad is happening and they don't want to call and tell me....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know, I'm the same way. If I don't hear from the vet by the time I think I should I call them...they are always nice about it, but probably think 'oh geeze it's her again' LOL!

    ReplyDelete